Thursday, November 11, 2010

Week 2 and 3 in Korea with Pictures!!!!



There is my picture gallery of Korea so far ^ above. (click the 1 pic to see them all)

This place is great thus far.
Week 2 I had a bit of a rough patch but other than that its going decently well. I still love it here, and have no plans of leaving anytime soon.

There is so much to absorb and observe there is no way I can do that all in one year.
I love all my Apartment mates.


Week 2:
I have been doing Middle school and Highschool for so long, I forgot the madness of Elementary School.
I was a little taken back and in shock because here the Kids run absolutely rampid through the hallways, In class they are fighting and yelling out. It is as if there is no class that taught school and classroom ettiquette. The kids can be controlled for maybe intervals of 2 minutes, but then its back to the same rambouchous behavior to which I had no patience for in America.
I understand these kids (who I teach) are under 10 years old, but the shushhh sign is pretty universal and should stick with a kid.
Also the fact that I have no idea what any of them are saying isn't helping me keep my composure.
My Mon-Wed school, I love the employees, but the kids I want to elbow drop.
My Thur&Fri school, I love the kids, but the principal intimidates me (not as a man but as a dumb American foreigner) by literally changing my fingers to hold chopsticks and spoons the Korean way. Also to eat int he correct food order. It border lines makes me want to get up and stone cold stun him.
I guess you really can't have the best of both worlds.
So Friday night, I decide I had the worst week in school one can possibly have. I decided to pull out he soju & diet coke. Then I proceeded to let lose, which was not a good idea. We'll keep it at that.
We also went out of my town Saturday to Busan. I had an amazing time with the people I met from orientation. I met some new people and decided to branch away from my buddies I came with to continue to party and hang out with the new people. (Damn when will I learn from these careless mistakes)
I decided at 5 a.m. in the morning (after partying) I didn't want to stay and sleep in Busan but I wanted to head home into my own bed, and beat my apartment mates home.
THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN
instead I got on the wrong bus and took a 9 hour joy ride (sarcasm) around Korea (no where in korea should take you more than 4-5 hours to get to and I was only 2 from where I lived).
I didn't get home til nearly 5 p.m. I was hungry, cranky and about to yell at or moon the next Korean to stare me down as if I was an alien.
Long story short, it was a shitty week.

Week 3
I had to make this week better, I had to be more prepared for my classes, I had to be accepting at whatever comes my way, and I needed to be smarter about my decisions.
Thats pretty much happened. Now that I'm in partial control, the Kids are better, I'm always studying and understanding alot more Korean(getting lost for 9 hours also pretty much forces the language upon you when your making frequent bus stops and have to hop off and figure out where your at so you can take the next bus home.
So it was a good School week.
The weekend was very restful, I found out my PS3 doesnt explode with the 220 volt power here. So this stay in Korea literally just got better.
I hang out with all of my Apartment mates that I live in the same building with. There all different but all great people that complete this friendship circle that we have bonded with.
I like them all as if we had been friends for years.
All in all I had a succesful Week 3.

I probably won't be updating this as if its a "My Life in Korea" Blog, but I will definitely share my highs, lows, funny, sad, whacky and spectacular experiences here.

Enjoy the little bit of pics, find me on facebook if you want to see them all.

Cheers

2 comments:

  1. Wow, looks like you're having a great time.
    I am a huge graffiti hunter and I've never been to Korea so indulge me more when you can
    ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the lovey squids are so cute! I can't read anything around them though, so I am hoping they are happy lovey squids.

    And, you're a trooper to say the least. I can't imagine how freaked out I'd be lost in a city where I couldn't speak the language, of course, I took Latin in high school, so that was my bad.

    ReplyDelete